Sunday, November 11, 2007

Glasgow

The Scottish city of Glasgow has been awarded the rights to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games .

The bid logo somewhat resembles Glasgow's Clyde Auditorium


The font is inspired by one used by Charles Rennie Macintosh, a Glasgow architect/designer of the Art Nouveau movement.
The city is situated on the River Clyde


I was born there in 1967, the youngest of 3.
Here I am with my sister, born 1962 and brother, born 1964.

My birth certificate reads that my father is a metallurgist. His work was related to Glasgow's then ship building industries.
Here are my mother's parents. My grandfather read Burns poetry on Scottish radio. My father's family owned a hotel in Maryhill and a travel agent in the city centre.

Here's where I went to school, in the suburb of Bearsden, before my family immigrated to Australia under the Australian government's Assisted Migration Scheme.





Here are some choice Glasgow accents.




Jimmy Somerville with Smalltown Boy



Some movies set in Glasgow , Red Road and two by Ken Loach, My Name is Joe and Sweet Sixteen.


Daily photo blog here


Upon winning the bid,
Queen Elizabeth II sent her congrat- ulations

4 Comments:

Blogger mykel said...

what great photos. so are you going to go for the games? Jimmy is still one of my favourites, been listening to him a lot lately. take care xx

3:04 am  
Blogger RAD said...

Thanks for the hstory- the news and all that..very cool..super great pics too!

9:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on Glasgow Daily Photo :) Fantastic pics here too!

5:22 am  
Blogger Monty said...

Thanks for that little insight into your life mate! Do you have any traces of a Glaswegian accent or is yours a fully Aussie one?? :-)

1:26 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home